VACATURE | 7 MAART 2023
FONASBA General Manager Designate
FONASBA is a multinational organisation in the maritime sector, promoting and protecting the professions of ship agents and ship brokers worldwide. Its members are based in more than 60 countries across all five continents.
The small Secretariat, based in the City of London, is responsible for the general management of the Federation and its external relations role, working within international and regional bodies on matters of interest to the membership, and directly with those members to support their activities and initiatives at national level.
The position of General Manager Designate is a developmental role, initially providing support to the current General Manager with the intention of assuming that role in the future.
Primary Function: To support the General Manager in discharging the operational functions of the Federation through the provision of secretariat, membership, and other services.
Primary Place of Work: The FONASBA Secretariat, currently located at: 7th Floor, Walsingham House, 35, Seething Lane, London EC3N 4AH. Subject to the operational needs of the business and with prior agreement, you may from time to time be permitted to work remotely
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, plus one hour for lunch
Holiday entitlement: 25 days paid leave per annum, excluding statutory holidays
Salary and benefits: Dependent on experience
Accountable to: The General Manager
- Proven middle management experience within the ship agency or ship broking sector, ideally with a commercial background and knowledge of operational processes and procedures
- Able to work unsupervised whilst covering multiple tasks and meeting deadlines, taking personal responsibility for the areas of work covered by their role
- Good organisational and administrative abilities and attention to detail
- A demonstrable ability to adapt and use a practical approach to resolve problems and issues and to consider, formulate and communicate effective developmental strategies
- First class written and verbal communication skills with experience of communicating effectively at all levels within an organisation and with external bodies and individuals
- Able to digest detailed information and documents, identify areas of specific concern to FONASBA and its members and propose and draft appropriate and effective courses of action
- Demonstrate the qualities of maturity, discretion, judgement, resilience, and political sensitivity
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Office 365, including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Proven knowledge of, and ability to effectively use, social media, primarily LinkedIn and others
- Resident, and have the right to work, in the United Kingdom.
- An ability to speak another modern foreign language
- Whilst not mandatory, an internationally recognised qualification in the ship broking or ship agency sector would be beneficial
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
- Ensuring that the Federation meets its statutory, legal, and other obligations
- Ensuring that it operates in compliance with the Articles of Association and By Laws
- Supporting the operation of the Secretariat
- Invoicing and receiving all monies due to the Federation from membership fees and other types of income and ensure that all appropriate payments are made to the Federation’s creditors
- Maintaining accurate and up to date financial records and in conjunction with the Federation’s auditors produce annual accounts and financial statements for Council
- Maintaining accurate and up to date lists of Members, Officers and similar
- Acting as secretary to the Executive Committee and other meetings and take and produce timely minutes when required
- Making proposals to the Executive Committee and Council for changes to the Articles of Association, By Laws and other rules governing the functions of the Federation
IN ADDITION, THE GENERAL MANAGER DESIGNATE WILL:
- Draft reports, discussion papers and other similar documents on behalf of the Federation and or the Officers
- In conjunction with the host association, organise and oversee the Annual Meeting
- Organise other events, conferences, or similar activities as may be arranged
- Support the development and expansion of FONASBA’s international membership
- Assist Member Associations as they may from time to time require
- Ensure that regular communication is maintained between the Federation and its members and maintain the Federation’s external media profile
- Undertake any other duties or actions as may from time to time be required
Travel within Europe and internationally will be required from time to time.
Key skills required: Practical experience of the ship broking or ship agency sectors, excellent organisational skills, able to develop effective relationships both within FONASBA and with other maritime organisations, good standard of written and spoken English, computer literate (primarily Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook) and practical experience of social media management.
Applications, which should include a full curriculum vitae, salary expectations and when available to start work, should be sent to mr. Jonathan Williams, General Manager FONASBA.